Sunday, March 8, 2009

Shades of Mediocrity


Enough already! I sit down for a walk down acquaintance lane, and while perusing through the blogs of friends and family I'm accosted with massive amounts of over-achieving. I guess you could say that it's the biggest beef I have with the blog-zone. It's not a true example of historic accuracy. Where are the TV watching, preservative eating, unvacumed lives of my peeps (super cool way to say people)? I recently had a conversation with one of the afore-mentioned , where she brought up that she also felt like the "Queen of Mediocrity" In an effort to comfort her, I offered to move back to her corner of the world and make her feel like she wasn't the only loser in town. She thought the idea would work like a charm, and that my average lifestyle would make her feel a little above average. This depressed me further.
So TAG!!!! I challenge all who read this plea, to put down their craft projects, and t-ball trophies---just for a few hours, and let me see the human side of your lives. I'm not asking for a video account of you losing your temper after one of your 45 sons pees in the garbage can. Maybe just a picture of an unmade bed, or a mole with hair growing out of it. Just listen to your hearts on this one post, and then get back to business as usual. ---Am I the only one who occasionally feels a little green with envy after a half-hour of blog surfing? I know, I've got a problem; I'm going to reform.
Posted by Picasa

22 comments:

Sherry said...

I'll get on this on the double. After I do our write-up of our D.C. visit (not an accomplishment, I sat around while everyone else did things). But for now, I hope the fact that my boys are never dressed in any of their pictures will appease you somewhat. What mother doesn't dress her children?

PML said...

I really don't know what you are talking about. I am just so confused. Unmade beds?? How can I take a picture of the bed if I am in it? Even my 1 year old straightens the sheets and lines her teddy bears up against the hand-made priceless bumpers I made real quick one night while also recording my first singing album.

Sherry said...

Up at 1:00am? You act like that is late. Silly. Holland is just coming alive right now. It could be wonderful if he wasn't so hands on, as in my hands on him. I always seem to be more intelligent at night, but holding a baby hinders any use of that.

Goob said...

did you not see my "proud moments in housekeeping" post? Or my window makeover?
I too get a little sick of the travelogues, "worlds most amazing hubby" posts, and the lists of items picked up on the last shopping trip. My favorite is the one's the document every stupid item with a picture. Why yes, I DO love your new coach bag...when shall we expect your next visit to the bishop asking for a food order?

abby o said...

sorry jodi, you can't fool me. I can spot custom cabinets and a stainless steel fridge even beyond the occasional milk-jug-left-on-counter trick. you spend WAY more of your time being utterly presentable than any of us who have to hide behind the blog facade. however I whole heartedly support your crusade and plan to do the tag justice. to be continued...

abby o said...

p.s. this post does NOT absolve you of the responsibility to post detailed pictures of the new and improved dream house. Strategically place play doh sculptures on the carpet if you must though.

Larissa said...

Oh brother, Jodi. You're obviously not talking to me, so I
must be exempt from the tag. Which is good, since I wouldn't know which under-achievement to start with. As I type this comment, I've got a baby under the table in her PJ's feasting off the breakfast she threw on the floor earlier. The blinds are drawn and I may not be letting any visitors through the front door today. But if you'll just take the time to stop by my house today, I'll open the door for you and give you a tour of our messes to make you feel better. Then I could blog about the latest service project I did for a friend in need.

Pam Emmons said...

I can work on this ASAP! I don't even have projects! I'm just lazy!

Pam Emmons said...

I did it! Check my blog!

Hartson family said...

I love you all for your sincere honesty. You make me feel so normal! I can't begin to tell you the mess that surrounds me. But check the blog and you'll see! Thanks Jodi for the opportunity to show you the mess I call home~

The Copes said...

So far so good. My life is slowly starting to feel up to par again. Maybe next time we could do a "how clean is your fridge expose"

Marylois said...

So, was this friend you spoke with someone who lives in Burlington and you are making plans to move back here? I'm all for that!!! If you have looked at my blog lately you'll know it doesn't change very often. I am not one of these talented people who are always creating wonderful things to show off. Come back to Borington and you will fit right in ;~)

Anonymous said...

That was the easiest and fast post I have ever done.

Carolyn Hanson said...

Your calling us all out is so refreshing! My level of self-esteem would probably be much higher if I just avoided the blog-zone in general. That's why I love this tag. It's SO good to see and share some normalcy for a change!

QuillandCanvas said...

Hey, have you not read the "Max eats dirt" blog?

Love ya!

The Garrisons said...

oh jod look what you've done. lol... and here here to what abby said, although I will say that I can attest that your EXCEPTIONAL ability to turn cope-chaos into creative, cute, and clean usually occurs (with a wiggle of your nose mind you) a mere 5 seconds before the first person knocks on the door for book club/RS meeting/girls night/you name it!

The Garrisons said...

refer to my post on abby's

Kelly Ann said...

I love this idea and plan on getting my post ready really soon. just a hint it's all about procrastinating and not finishing all that i start. so maybe you won't see it soon. well, just be on the lookout.
p.s. i'm very impressed with you often.

Kelly Ann said...

okay i finally got my post up. hope it buoys your spirits
kelly

Carrie Swenson said...

I hear you! It is nice to know that I am not the only one out there who ffels this way!

Logan said...

I hope the fact that I was too lazy to even post something mediocre speaks for itself. The title of this post, though, reminds me of a movie that was anything BUT mediocre. In fact, I'd say it was on the verge of spectacular.

Kelli said...

Jodi..It's 11 something and no one in my house is dressed. There's a pile of dishes in the sink and 2 loads of unfolded laundry on my kitchen table...I could go on, and yes I will post some mediocre stuff on my blog as soon as I finish a mediocre haircut for one of my sweet boys.