Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Be Always Like the Lamb so Mild


Welcoming...Jonathan Dean Cope
Born Oct. 22
8lbs. 6oz---20.5 inches



It's been a while since the pull to blog has actually placed me in front of the keyboard, but Jon has given this family the excuse to crow a little. He came into this world like a charming little champ, and I expect great things of him. So, mark my words...this bouncing bundle of sweetness is going to make the world a better place.

Like most warm-blooded mamas, I love newborn babies--but not just because they are cute, soft, and sweet-smelling. I really think that birth is the purest point of seeing a child's potential. They come to our homes so full of brilliance, only to be exposed to bad parenting, preservative laden foods, and the influence of mindless television (all of which can occasionally be found in our home.) Looking at him now, I have no doubt that he'll be a good neighbor, a great father, and a loving husband. I'm also confident that he is capable of anything, and that he will always be found on the the right side of life's battles...so long as I don't mess things up. Talk about pressure!
So, I promise to block what corruption I can for you Johnny, so you can grow up to be the "night in shining armor"/future secretary of state that I know you can be.
Sleep baby sleep
Down where the woodbines creep
Be always like the lamb so mild
A kind, and sweet, and gentle child
Sleep baby sleep
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Keri said...

I needed your post to remind myself of the sweet potential our little ones have. Brinley has been found in her b-day suit... sitting on the carpet...multiple times today. Congratulations on baby #4! He looks like such an angel.

Sherry said...

I LOVE HIM!!! I want one!

Vicki with an "i" said...

As I live in breathe! Jonathan is a sweet pea. I'll have you know that when I asked Roger if I could take Jonny home he said, "sure aunt Vic." I think you might owe me one sweet pea.

Vicki with an "i" said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
abby o said...

Jane thinks he's hot.

julie! said...

Hey Little Jon- Big John says hello. I showed Jonathon's picture to John and he said "he is just like me!"
Can't wait to meet him in January!

amy said...

Congrats, Jodi, Ben, and all Copes! I was just wondering the other day if you'd had that baby you had coming...

I am pregnant, and my plan is to just start the kid drinking Mountain Dew as soon as I can manage, just to dispel any illusions I might have of preservative-free parenting.

I often think of a time when Kate Kelly and I, in our early twenties, were pontificating about how parents ought to do their job. Mom Kelly was patient for awhile, and then, with some real feeling, she spun around and said "One day both of you will turn to your small children, and you will say 'IF I GIVE YOU A MAPLE BAR WILL YOU SHUT UP?!?!'" I've never forgotten it. In a few months I will see it's fruition.

Congrats again!