8 years ago
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Home, Where my Thought's Escaping
The truth is... I'm starting to breakdown, and I'm only on decision number one of this house rebuild project. So I'm asking cyberspace...what should I do? They've asked me to pick out shingle colors for the roof so I've been leaning toward a charcoal color. I also have the option of changing the stucco color, and--although I like the brown, I would like something that is little less dated. I feel like our house just screams "Utah suburbia," and I want to make it a little more timeless, but how?
Pictured above, is the house as it was before the fire, as well as my kindergarten "cut and paste" of what the home would look like with lighter stucco. It also shows the darker roofing, and the added window and stone elements. The stone is pretty much how it will appear regardless of what contrasting colors we choose. So give me some roof and stucco colors. I could use the feedback. My husband just gives me a whole lot of "looks good to me."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2177/1680351873_462d9f6c9a.jpg?v=0
This is our recommendation. We like the lighter siding (in your case stucco) with the soft-gray roof.
So, does that mean you like the top photo, or a combo of the two?
I say go with a lighter stucco--some shade of cream--definitely add the additional stone, what about a tan shingle to bring out the browns in the stone?
I am leaning toward a brown-hued shingle.
First of all, thank you for the procrastination project.
Second, here's my two cents: I agree that brown stucco is the color du jour in Southern Utah and the entire southwest lately. Although not a bad color combo, it does run the risk of making your house look "so 2008" in a decade or two. I like the idea of cooling the color down a bit and taking one of the gray tones from your stone like so:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/gilbreth42/copehousecopy.jpg
or going with a taupe-y lighter color such as:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm147/gilbreth42/copehousecopy.jpg
If you want to see a different color on your house, let me know.
I've never known you to make a bad design choice in anything- a quilt, a room, an outfit, nothing! So, trust yourself! I'm betting whatever you choose will be 100 times better than my suggestion. Just try not to stress too much! It's gonna be great!
As for timeless, there are some Whitefish Bay houses I'd like to transport into Utah suburbia. There's a new house in our neighborhood that I really like that's dark gray, with charcoal roof, white accents, and I think a dark red door, but I agree with that last comment about your design choices.
Also, next weekend we won't be able to fit in a trip to Enterprise, but how about May? We are planning on doing a trip to Zion's with my family, and we'll be flying into Vegas, so Enterprise is practically on the way. We could stop by for a little bit, and would love to see you! We figure since your house burned down and all, the least we can do is come visit and eat some food out of your cupboards. And maybe Reid could take Olivia out - show her some of the sights of Enterprise, keep the relationship strong. With a driver and a chaperone, that is.
Post a Comment